Saturday, June 23, 2018

PBOC Fun Runs

Today was a gorgeous day!
We had fun runs again today over at the Prudhoe Bay Operations Center at 6 am and 6 pm.  An official ID is required to get through the security gate.  I've never had one before but this month we were issued security badges from the DOT (Department of Transportation).  So I was told the badge would get me through the gate.  But as I approached the gate the two guards started frantically waving their hands signalling for me to immediately turn around. There were several vehicles stopped at the gate so I assumed there was some emergency preventing anyone from entering.  As I drove away I saw two more trucks pull up in the line, and noticed they were not being turned around.  I called over to work to see if I could find a clue, but it was a mystery to them too.  They suggested I just try again.  On the second try there were no other vehicles at the gate.  The guards still both came out and were staring at me through binoculars.  That made me feel a bit odd!  When I reached the gate and showed my badge they let me right through.  It seems they turned me around because they thought I was a tourist because they didn't think my filthy dirty muddy SUV looked like it belonged there with all the filthy dirty pickup trucks!  I was apparently 'car profiled'!

Since I spent too much time fiddling around with all that, I only had time to run the course once, and logged 3 miles.  I went back for the evening race with a friend who had a more official looking vehicle, and we got right through.  I did have time to run it twice for another 6 miles. In spite of the morning nonsense it was a really fun run and a beautiful day.  Only 35 but calm in the morning but 48 with a bit of wind for the evening race.


Gorgeous Morning!
Morning Run

Evening Run

No comments:

Post a Comment