Saturday, February 15, 2014

Myrtle Beach Marathon

I felt certain that I would leave the winter weather behind as I drove to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for the Myrtle Beach Marathon.  But that was certainly not the case.  The infamous Polar Vortex followed me all the way there.  I had planned to do some traveling along the South Carolina coast but once I hit a massive snowstorm in Atlanta, I pointed my car for Myrtle Beach and did my best to outrun it.  I spent a couple of extra days there riding out a couple of nasty ice storms.  I did enjoy Myrtle Beach though.  I visited the aquarium and took several nice walks along the boardwalk and the beach, bundled up in my winter down parka!  No chance I was going for a swim in that water.  I also took a ride on the giant Ferris wheel.  What a lovely view I had from up there.
 
 
Race day started with a torrential downpour at the start line.  But fortunately it stopped raining just as the race started.  Even though the actual air temperature was close to 50 degrees, it was freezing the entire time because of a wind of about 40 miles an hour.  It was much colder than the Mississippi River race last week.  I think my bones were frozen by the time I staggered to the finish line.  This was the slowest of the three for me, but it's about reaching the finish line and not about breaking any speed limits.  That's a good thing!

This one had the cutest medal of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment