Saturday, August 24, 2013

Reykjavik Marathon

What an incredible country Iceland is!  I just drove the entire Ring Road and drove completely around the island, enjoying all the sights I could reach along the way.  Beautiful volcanoes, and glaciers, and erupting geysers.  It is fantastic.  I had to be back in time to pick up my race bib for the Reykjavik Marathon so I got back on Thursday night and spent Friday taking it fairly easy.  Just a trip to the expo and a drive up to Gulfoss Waterfall. 
The weather was not the greatest for the marathon.  Mostly raining and very windy. I was pretty cold most of the time.  But maybe the cold made me speed up.  I was nearly one hour faster than last week at Big Wild Life.  But I was still far too slow. I have really fallen behind in my training, partly because of my sprained ankle from the Kilimanjaro climb.  I can see that once I get home I will have to get busy and really hit the training hard so I can increase my speed for the Nike Women's Marathon in October. I can spend September really pushing myself while working up in Deadhorse.

I loved Iceland though, even with its wind and rain.

Blue Lagoon

Jokulsarlon

No comments:

Post a Comment