Friday, August 14, 2026

Rabbit Slough Kayak

 I wasn't moving very fast this morning. Bella didn't even want to eat her breakfast or get out of bed. I finally got her moving and out for our morning walk. I loaded my kayak into my car and prepared to go kayaking somewhere but wasn't sure where. Mark called me and reminded me it was Friday, which I had obviously forgotten. We often meet at the Friday Fling for lunch. So, I met him there and we had our lunch and walked through the same vender booths we see every week, buying nothing. Afterwards, I decided to keep it simple and close and drove to the Rabbit Slough boat ramp and put in my kayak. Bella and I paddled as far upstream as I could possibly go. I don't think she understands the purpose of kayaking plus it was also quite warm out. I lifted her into the water to cool her off. I'm not sure she liked or understood the purpose of that, but at least she stopped panting. There was a nice cool breeze that kept me from roasting, as we coasted back downstream to the dock. We saw a few birds and Bella barked at all of them, including a few ducks she rousted from the widest part of the slough. It felt so good to be out on the water. It's such a nice, peaceful way to relax on a hot summer day. It's so close to town but you feel like you're way out in the wilderness somewhere. I got home and realized I had left my dog leash back at the parking lot so had to drive all the way back to retrieve it, right where I had folded up my kayak. I stopped and picked up some snacks for tomorrow's hike, so the trip wasn't a complete waste of time.




No comments:

Post a Comment