Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Pioneer Ridge Trail

 Today was not the best of days to hike up Pioneer Ridge Trail. The weather wasn't too bad but there were lots of clouds obscuring the view of the summit. But even worse was the smoky hazy air from many fires happening in Canada. That obscured even the view that was not affected by clouds. I hiked with a small group of the Valley Wanderers. Our destination was only to the second picnic table, if we found the trail had been brushed out sufficiently to that spot. It was in great condition to the first picnic table. They have put nice wood bridges over the worst muddy spots. It is greatly improved from my last trip up there. Several of the group turned back from the first table for various reasons, but Jane, Charlie and I continued on to the second table. Conditions were pretty good and we had no trouble reaching it. We encountered a young woman lone hiker on her way down from the upper ridge who said she had turned back due to heavy fog. So, we turned back after a break at the second table. Even in the smoky conditions it was still a beautiful hike. It was also very hot. 70 degrees is a heatwave with high heat weather alerts for us Alaskans. I'm sure the rest of the country sweltering in triple digit heat would be laughing at us and calling us a bunch of wimps, but we're not accustomed to comfortable room temperature weather! One of these days I hope to get an early start with some ambitious companions and make my way to the summit of Pioneer Peak. I've been saying that for many years, but so far, it obviously hasn't happened. I was delighted to get out even for this fairly short climb of 5 miles and 2700-foot elevation gain. Bella had a great time too.





No comments:

Post a Comment