Monday, August 24, 2026

Lane Basin Exploration Hike

 Pam and I started out hiking with a group of the Valley Wanderers. We hiked up the Archangel Road almost to the gate, then started up a steep hike on a narrow trail. Their destination was a place called Little Gem Mine. They were hiking quite quickly and left Pam and I behind, rarely waiting for us to catch up. Bella mostly took off and followed them, occasionally returning to check on me. I stayed ahead of Pam but behind the rest of the group, always trying to keep the fast group in sight, but not leaving Pam behind. Pam was having some trouble with her back which tended to slow her down. The lead group took off up a ridge and were soon completely out of sight. I only knew they were heading up the creek but didn't know which side or what the final destination was going to be. Pam and I descended to the creek, and Bella was no longer in view. It was obvious she was with the faster group. I started frantically calling her name. I had no idea where the other hikers were or where my dog had gone. Finally, after calling her for at least 5 minutes, Bella descended from high on the ridge above the creek. She crossed the fast-flowing creek, and I gave her a treat. Pam and I decided we should simply turn back since we had no idea where the rest of the group had gone. Then we couldn't find Bella again. We didn't know if she had crossed the creek again or which direction she had taken. We hollered for about 10 minutes. I tried to track her with my phone via her airtag but it wouldn't connect. I was extremely worried now and had no idea which way to go to find the others, where I assumed she had gone. She finally came bounding down the ridge on our side of the creek. I put her leash on her and we took both of our dogs and returned, now following our track on my AllTrails app. Bella led us back to the last trail we had followed and then I took her off her leash. Pam and I followed her and continued on that trail until it disappeared. We could see the Lane Basin Trail below us so turned towards it, also following the AllTrails app. We did a bit of bushwhacking and had to jump a few small streams but finally reached the Lane Basin Trail. It was a fun adventure and a beautiful hike in spite of how frustrated we had been earlier. We happily followed the trail back to the road and our cars. I have often said that I actually prefer to hike alone or with just one other person. Groups often abandon slower hikers. I'm not always the slowest, but if I am, I know this can happen. I don't mind if my dog sticks with the leader as long as I can still see them. But if the leader abandons me, then I know it's time to get her to return and make my exit from the hike. From now on I'll stick to either solo hikes or ones with friends willing to stick together. It can be dangerous leaving people behind in the Alaska wilderness, and I never want to lose my precious Bella. She is my soulmate and I will never abandon her.






No comments:

Post a Comment