Sunday, August 23, 2026

Lazy Mountain from the Back Side

 I know I just climbed Lazy Mountain 2 days ago, but the Valley Wanderers decided to do it today from the back side up from Smith Road on the Matanuska Peak Trail. Their plan was to descend via the Lazy Moose Trail. To avoid the unnecessary 2 mile, walk from Smith Road to the Lazy Mountain Trailhead on Morgan Horse Trail, we left most of our cars at the Lazy Mountain Trailhead and piled into Jane's car to start from Smith Road. Bella kept stopping and holding me back, so I started out being the slowest and last person in our group of 6 as we started up the trail. Bella finally started moving and I gradually moved closer to the leader. Erin was ahead until we reached the wooden tripod that marks the Southside Trail that leads up through Stonehenge to the Lazy Mountain summit. Erin got distracted by some blueberries and kept stopping to pick them. Meanwhile, Janice took off at a quicker pace, immediately followed by Bella. I didn't want Bella to be far ahead of me, plus I wasn't interested in blueberries, so I quickened my pace and kept up with Janice. It was very cloudy and foggy, and we wondered if we would even have any view from the top. It was also getting a bit windy. Janice and I were getting chilly, so we kept up our fast pace, occasionally looking back to be sure the others were coming. Janice found a spot near the top and sat by the flag. Bella ran up the rocks to the highest point, and I followed her as I always do. I have a nice flat spot up there where I like to park and enjoy the view. I also like to take my 360-degree summit video from there. Today seemed kind of disappointing because Matanuska Peak was completely swallowed by clouds. But much of the view below was not obscured. I stood up and started my usual video and happily Matanuska Peak showed her face through the clouds long enough for me to capture it on the video and a couple of still photos. Meanwhile, Bella kept scaring me by galloping along the treacherous rocks and acting as sure footed as a mountain goat. I know she was never unsafe, but she always makes me nervous when she does that. I called her over and distracted her with treats until I decided to head down by the flag and wait for the rest of the group. Janice and I sat in the rocks and finally saw the tiny figures of our friends slowing coming through the clouds along the ridge. We all gathered near the top and had lunch and took our pictures. Janice and I decided to take the shorter but slippery and steep route straight down via the Lazy Mountain Trail. The others took the longer but more relaxed Lazy Moose Trail down. It wasn't too bad, and neither of us actually fell. I did have a few close calls and relied on a few tree branches to help me over the most slippery spots. Bella found the same mud hole she found on Wednesday, so once home, she was back in the kitchen sink for yet another bath. It was a very fun day and a much-needed workout for me. 



Matanuska Peak Summit through the clouds

Bella staring into the fog


Wolverine Lake


Janice, Bella and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment