Saturday, April 6, 2024

The KRRBRRR

 Ever year the local running folks put on this really odd running event called Krrbrrr - The Knik River Breakup Ramble Run. For some really amazing runners, it is actually a run. For people like me it was barely a walk. It is a combination of deep post-holing snow, wet slush, tree branches, steep hills and horse poop. I didn't even bother with running shoes. I went straight to my heavy snow boots with microspikes. It was very wet snow and in many places there was deep water where we had to take cross country shortcuts through dense trees. The race is well described by this link. KRRBRRR
It is a meandering 5.5 mile loop that starts and finishes in the Jim Creek parking lot. Participants are given 8 hours to complete as many loops as they want. I was happy to complete one loop and call it a day. Some diehard people were out there for the whole 8 hours though. I had to leave my dog home alone so didn't want to leave her for very long. Plus I fell while shoveling my walk yesterday and smacked my left ribs so hard that I quite possibly have a cracked or at least bruised rib or two. It hurts to breathe or even move. So plunging into deep snow up over my knees was not as comfortable as I would have liked it. But it was still fun and of course challenging. I was happy to stop after loop one.

Here are a few scenes along the trail




The 5.5 Mile Route

No comments:

Post a Comment