Friday, April 12, 2024

Matanuska Lake Trails, Long Lake Loop

My original plan was to meet my friend, Pam up at Archangel Road to cross country ski. But as I drove up the road it started to snow. The storm became so heavy that it was soon difficult to even see the road. Even my dog became concerned when she saw the heavy snow and started barking and whining. I texted Pam but she didn't respond. I didn't know if she was ahead or behind me. Cell service is very poor in this area so I decided to just continue in case she was ahead of me. I passed a snowplow heading down as the snow got deeper on the road. I finally reached Archangel Road and found a 3 foot high berm across the parking area. I knew it would be impossible to park there. Luckily I was able to make a quick U-turn and get headed back down the road. I had good cell service there so called Pam and we decided to meet down at Turner's Corner, a gas station often used as a meeting point. By the time I got to Turner's I found the storm had moved down the mountain with me and it was snowing furiously. Pam and I decided to go to Matanuska Lake and just hike the Long Lake Loop Trail. It's just under 5 miles and we found that it was neither snowing or raining there. There was enough ice and snow that we both wore our microspikes, even though in many places we still had exposed dirt. We had the trail to ourselves, so I let Bella off her leash. She had a wonderful time running up and down the trail with her friend, Dahla, Pam's dog. Bella is very good about immediately coming when I call her. We had a very pleasant walk but not the best view due to low cloud ceilings. But at least we stayed dry and didn't need to trudge through very deep snow. I later learned Hatcher Pass Lodge was closed due to a 2 foot snowfall. Once I got back home, it started to snow there too. Winter is certainly hanging on around here.


No comments:

Post a Comment