I woke up to a really nice morning but couldn't decide what to do. It's been at least a week since I've used my kayak so decided to toss it into my car and just see where I end up. I still couldn't decide but I also didn't feel like taking a long drive anywhere. I haven't been to Matanuska Lake this summer except just to hike. So, I carried the kayak and all the stuff that goes with it down the short steep ramp and Bella and I put in on the lake. It was beautifully calm and not too hot or too cold for a change. Bella doesn't like when she gets too hot. I think she sees all that water but doesn't know quite how to get a drink of it. I also don't think she's too crazy about being out on the water in general. Today she was pretty relaxed until about halfway around the lake. Then she started getting restless and squirming and barking at nothing. I put in at a gravel bar at the far end of the lake and let her run around while on her leash while I stayed in the boat. I was glad she jumped back in and I didn't have to jump out myself and put her back in. She calmed down for a while then started barking at a couple of other boats on the lake. A couple of birds flew over, and she got so excited that she accidently fell right out of the boat with a splash. I tried so hard not to laugh but I couldn't help myself. She was safe of course, on her leash that was attached to my lifejacket and was also wearing her own lifejacket. I grabbed the handle of her jacket and plopped her, dripping wet back into the boat. She had a very quizzical look on her face for a while. I couldn't stop laughing after that. She was quite happy when we finally reached the little dock where we had put in. She jumped right out and was actually helpful because her pulling helped keep the boat steady as I climbed out. Other than her barking, it was a calm and peaceful little trip around the lake. I wish my dog enjoyed it more. I think she just wants to be out running around and probably feels confined when in the boat. I don't think she enjoyed her little swim.





No comments:
Post a Comment