The Valley Wanderers had planned to hike the Pioneer Ridge Trail today, at least up to the ridge or 2nd picnic table. But the forecast was for rain so everyone planning to go decided to cancel. Jane wanted to at least hike up to Stonehenge, the rocky area on the back side of Lazy Mountain. Pam and I decided to join her and meet at Smith Road at noon. By the time we met, the weather was much better than forecast. It wasn't raining but was still very cloudy and threatening looking. But as we hiked the weather continually improved. The fall colors were really beautiful on the lower part of the trail. Once we left the Matanuska Peak Trail section, most of the leaves had already fallen. Clouds were mostly obscuring the view of Matanuska Peak, but once in a while the peak would show her face to us. We climbed together to the small hill above Stonehenge, but it was very windy there. Jane and Pam decided to go back down to Stonehenge for lunch then head home. I really hate to get all the way to Stonehenge and not go all the way to the summit. It's only about another 30-40 more minutes of climbing. Since the weather still looked good, I decided to continue on. Bella and I made the summit easily. The wind was very strong on the top, and the flag was blowing furiously. But it wasn't terribly cold, considering it was actually snowing a little. On the summit, Matanuska Peak was totally obscured by clouds and an obvious snow shower. But I quickly took my video and a few photos then Bella and I scrambled down to get out of the wind. I had worn my heavy hiking boots instead of my trail running shoes, anticipating lots of mud and maybe some ice. I wished I had worn the running shoes because I still managed to run a good bit of the way down. My knee is still a little sore but really didn't give me any trouble on the hike. It was a spectacular hike and a great 6 mile exercise.
The Lazy Mountain Summit Video
 |
| Matanuska Peak |
 |
| Bella on the summit |
No comments:
Post a Comment