I drove up to Fairbanks on Friday with Mark for the Equinox Marathon. Mark stayed with Bella and doggie sat while I ran the race. They would frown on me leaving my dog in the hotel room for the amount of time it takes me to run a marathon. Plus, Bella would be irate! This was marathon #178 for me and also the 7th time for the Equinox Marathon. It's one of my favorite races even though it's probably the hardest one I ever do. There is an elevation gain of about 4000 feet, and it climbs Ester Dome in Fairbanks. The course is a combination of very steep narrow muddy trails, steep narrow switchbacks, and rocky climbs, while often dodging huge puddles from recent rains. I had the misfortune of falling a couple of weeks ago while crossing a creek out hiking. I landed in the rocks and badly bruised my right knee. It was mostly feeling back to normal. But by mile 10 of the race today, I felt more agony than ecstasy! At mile 15 I begged the volunteers at the water station for whatever over the counter medication they might happen to have. They treated me with 4 ibuprofen tablets along with some water. That bit of assistance got me to the finish line. After mile 20 there are some sections of paved road, which seem to make sore feet and knees scream even louder. I ran on the softer shoulder on those sections. It started out raining in the morning and I was pretty worried. But it quickly dissipated into nothing more than some misty foggy clouds and cool temperatures. The fog obscured the view at my favorite spot, the top of 'The Tunnel' a place where the view opens up displaying incredible autumn colors. They were mostly obscured in fog, unfortunately. But the whole course was still quite beautiful with golden autumn leaves everywhere. My time was a little slower than last year, likely due to my painful knee, but I finished over 1.5 hours before the time limit. I even had time to rush back to my hotel, shower, wash my hair, and look presentable before heading back to the awards banquet. I shared the podium for Female 80-89 with a really nice also, 80-year-old lady named Elaine Nelson. She beat me by about 40 minutes. So, this time I got the second-place medal and she got 1st place. I love seeing runners in the senior age groups out there running and staying fit instead of wasting away in retirement watching the world go by. Age is only a number and with the right attitude and mindset, anyone can stay active until well into their later years. I hope to still be hiking and running when I'm 100. I keep telling myself that, anyway.
 |
| Start Finish Line from the Nike+ iPhone app |
 |
| Along the Trail |
 |
| Top of The Tunnel |
 |
| Me and my friend Alice before the race |
 |
| Finishing |
 |
| Looking ragged after the race! |
 |
| 2nd Place Medal Female 80-89 |
 |
| Finisher Patch |
 |
| Elaine Nelson 1st, Me 2nd, - Female 80-89 |
No comments:
Post a Comment