Saturday, October 5, 2024

Lazy Mountain

 I helped the Valley Wanderers flag the primitive winter trail that takes off from the Matanuska Peak Trail around marker 4200 and ends at the place nicknamed Stonehenge. It's very narrow and steep and a little difficult to find even in summer. But they like to snowshoe up there in winter so they flag it with flagging tape so it can be found in deep snow. It's probably only about one mile, but it took a long time to hike it because we were stopping frequently to add more flags. Once we get to Stonehenge, it's not very far to the summit of Lazy Mountain. I hate to get that far up the mountain and not go all the way to the top. The other four in our group weren't interested in going to the top, so we parted ways after our snack break. I continued on to the summit with Bella. It was a perfect day for it because the wind had stopped and there was even a little bit of sunshine. The snow level is coming down, making the mountains look more majestic. We got to the top in one hour and spent some time up there taking pictures and eating more snacks. Bella beat me to the summit as usual. She is quite the rock climber and scrambles up there like it's flat land. I like to leave my trekking poles below the rocks so I can use both hands and feet getting to the very top. The view up there today was spectacular, with the snowy mountains. I was back down to Stonehenge in 30 minutes and to the bottom in another hour. It was so worth the extra effort. 




Bella on the summit




No comments:

Post a Comment