Tuesday, July 28, 2026

McRoberts Creek Headwaters Hike

 This was an extraordinary adventure, especially since I was the official leader. I felt like it was the blind leading the blind. I have only done it once and without my AllTrails app, I doubt I could have found my way. Fortunately, Virginia and Cathy showed up and caught up with us by the time we reached the tripod at the junction of the McRoberts Creek and Matanuska Peak Trails. Virgina was the true leader. The McRoberts Creek Trail was somewhat overgrown and slippery and muddy in places. We stopped for pictures at the new bridge Virginia and Dan had put in over one of the bigger creek crossings. I did step into one hole that was obscured by vegetation, causing quite the bruise and scrape on my right lower leg. We took a short break at the picnic table. I was starving at that point and really wanted to have a bite to eat. But everyone took off, leaving me to scramble to get my pack on and gobble down one granola bar. I caught up with the others before the spot where we turned off the Matanuska Peak Trail and headed down towards McRoberts Creek. That spot is just past the first rocky gully beyond the picnic table. Virginia pointed out a circle of rocks from an old campfire well below us near the creek. That was the landmark we needed to head for. It was mostly soft tundra with a few brushy spots but no actual trail down to that rock circle. Soon after, we were walking along fhe creek through a combination of thick brush, boulders, soft tundra and steep side hills. Soon the beautiful waterfall came into view. Erin decided to jump across the creek at this point. It was moving far too fast for me to consider it, especially since I would need to get Bella across it somehow. I held her back with her leash, so she didn't try to negotiate it on her own. Most of the group stayed on my side of the creek. We hiked on up around a steep rock face to the area above the falls.  We gathered again by the creek above the falls and did finally discover a spot where we easily crossed the creek. From the other side of the creek, we wandered up towards the hills and the upper reaches of the creek. There are several tributaries that ultimately flow into McRoberts Creek. We followed the main one until we found where the water burst directly out of the ground. The map indicates that the creek continues further up the mountain, but it must be mostly underground from where we stood. Cathy and Virgina kept climbing up towards the clouds, and the rocky peak ahead of us. We wondered how far they intended to go. The rest of us were simply content to watch them and wait for their report before pushing up behind them. They soon returned with nothing to report that made us feel like continuing to scramble up there. The clouds were very low and were obscuring the peaks. Sadly, that did detract from the view that a clear day would have provided. Even Matanuska Peak never showed her face. After our exploring, we meandered down towards the Matanuska Peak Trail and eventually found ourselves back on it. Rather than tackle the steep muddy McRoberts Creek Trail again, most of us chose to take the Matanuska Peak Trail all the way down to the trailhead. It was a strenuous but very interesting and beautiful 10-mile hike. Now if I'm ever asked to be the leader again, I think I could find my way even without my faithful iPhone and the AllTrails app. But I'd for sure bring it with me just in case. It was very helpful especially in finding our way back to the main trail. 









Pam & Julia on Dan's new bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment